Past Graduate Students
1. The Nguyen, M.S., Hydraulic Hybrid Vehicles: Noise and Vibration Control, April 2006; Recipient of the Best MIME MS Thesis award for spring 2006 semester.
2. Honghao Tan, Ph.D. Modeling and Control of Ferromagnetic Shape Memory Alloy Actuators, December 2006; Systems Engineer Magna Electronics, Auburn Hills, MI.
3. Eric Williams, M.S. Development of a Shape Memory Alloy Actuator for Mirror Positioning, May 2007; Teaching Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering Stevens Institute of Technology. Recipient of the Best MIME MS Thesis award for spring 2007 semester.
4. Ehsan Tarkesh Esfahani, M.S. Developing an Active Ankle Foot Orthosis Based on Shape Memory Alloys, December 2007; Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering Department University of Buffalo SUNY, Recipient of NSF workshop fellowship form University of Illinois, 2007.
5. Chad Mikrut, M.S. Simulation of an Antagonistic Shape Memory Alloy Mirror Actuator, May 2008; a product Engineer at NSK Motion and Control, Ann Arbor, MI.
6. Amin Mohaghegh Motlagh, M.S. Modeling of a Bent-Axis Pump/Motor in Hydraulic Hybrid Vehicles to determine Reaction Force Components Leading to Vibration, July 2008; a senior engineer at Ford.
7. Christopher Schroeder, M.S. Development of a Hydraulic Hybrid Vehicle Laboratory: Integrating Research and Education, December 2008. Michigan-Ohio University Transportation Center Student of the Year for 2007. Director of Processing In-Training Church of Scientology of Michigan.
8. Xianwu Zeng, M.S. Improving the Energy Density of Hydraulic Hybrid Vehicles (HHVs) and Evaluating Plug-In HHVs, May 2009.
9. The Nguyen, Ph.D. A Novel Semi-Active Magnetorheological Mount For Vibration Isolation, July 2009, an Assistant Professor at California State University, Fresno.
10. Walter Anderson, M.S. Parametric Investigation Toward Achieving an Optimal Magnetorheological Mount, University of Toledo UTC Student of the Year for 2009, April 2010.
11. Majid Tabesh, M.S. Finite Element Analysis of Shape Memory Alloy Biomedical Devices, March 2010; a Ph.D. student in the Aerospace Engineering Department at Texas A&M University.
12. Cory Chapman, M.S. Design, Analysis and Evaluate of a Collapsible/Expandable Intervertebral Cage, May 2011; a process engineer with Kimberly-Clark Corporation.
13. Shuo Wang, Ph.D. Control of a Single Axis Magnetorheological Mount, May 2011; a Research Engineer at Cinetic DyAG Corporation, Farmington Hills, MI.
14. Ahmadreza Eshghinejad, M.S. Finite Element Study Of A Shape Memory Alloy Bone Implant, March 2012; recipient of University of Toledo Innovation Enterprise 2011 Business Plan Award, a Ph.D. student at University of Washington.
15. Minal Bhadane, Ph.D., Toward A Variable Stiffness Ankle Foot Orthosis, March 2012, First place recipient of University of Toledo Innovation Enterprise 2010 Business Plan Award, a research fellow at University of Texas Medical School at Houston.
16. Mohammadhassan Abdollahi Sofla, M.S., “Identification, Simulation and Control of an Ankle Foot Orthosis,” April 2012, an engineer with Eaton Corp.
17. Zohreh Karbaschi, M.S., “Torsional behavior of Nitinol: modeling and experimental evaluation,” December 2012, Technical Services Associate at Medical Metrics.
18. Ehsan Izadi, M.S. Mitigating Concussion: An Innovative Football Helmet, August 2012, Ph.D. Student at Arizona State University.
19. Walter Anderson, Ph.D. SMA-based Organ Re-positioner, August 2013, Research engineer at Owens Illinois, Perrysburg, OH.
20. Masood Taheri, M.S., Multi-Axial Behavior Modeling of Shape Memory Materials, August 2013, received best master’s thesis award from MIME Department, Ph.D. student at Virginia Tech.
21. Milad Hosseinipour, M.S. Towards A Solution For Final Stage Congestive Heart Failure, August 2013, Ph.D. student at Virginia Tech.
22. Morteza Gorzin, M.S. Dorsi-Assist AFO With Torsional Niti Elements, Fall 2013, received best masters thesis award from MIME Department, Engineer with ETA, Inc.
23. Andrew Puffer, M.S., Design, Analysis and Evaluate of a Universal Blood Clot Removal Device, December 2013, Quality engineer with W. L. Gore, Flagstaff, AZ.
24. Bingxi Li, M.S., Resistance-Based Control Of SMA Actuators, Spring 2014, Ph.D. student at Michigan Tech.
25. Jason Walker, Ph.D. Additive Manufacturing towards the Realization of Porous and Stiffness-tailored NiTi Implants,” May 2014, Assistant Professor of Manufacturing Engineering, Youngstown State University, OH.
26. Michael Koludrovich, M.S. Design, Analysis, and Experimental Evaluation of a Superelastic NiTi Minimally Invasive Thrombectomy Device, August 2014, Mechanical Design Engineer at Thorson Baker and Associates Richfield, OH.
27. Rasool Rahmanian, M.S., Optimizing Mechanical Stiffness of Shape Memory And Superelastic Alloys By Introducing Engineering Porosity, Summer 2014, Engineer For Motor Company, Dearborn, MI.
28. Pavanesh Narayanan, M.S. Sensor-less Control of Shape Memory Alloy Using Artificial Neural Network and Variable Structure Controller, December 2014, received best master’s thesis award from MIME Department, Engineer Caterpillar, Peoria, IL.
29. Mohsen Taheri Andani, M.S. Modeling, Simulation, Additive Manufacturing, and Experimental Evaluation of Solid and Porous NiTi, June 2015, received best master’s thesis award from MIME Department, Ph.D. student University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI.
30. Narges Shayesteh Moghaddam, M.S. Toward Patient Specific Long Lasting Metallic Implants for Mandibular Segmental Defects, May 2015, Ph.D. student University of Toledo, Toledo, OH.
31. Wonsang Cho, M.S. Towards Additively Manufactured Tool Holder with Cavity to Mitigate Chatter, August 2015, Ph.D. Student Mechanical Engineering Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA.
32. Feng Tian, Ph.D. A Superelastic Variable Stiffness Knee Actuator For A Knee-Ankle-Foot Orthosis, December 2015, recipient of best MIME TA award spring 2014, Engineer First Solar, Perrysburg, OH.
33. Arman Ahmadi, M.S. A Micromechanical-based Computational Framework for Modeling the Mechanical Properties of the Metallic Parts Fabricated by Selective Laser Melting, May 2016, recipient of NSF Student Travel Award for MSEC2016, Ph.D. Student Mechanical Engineering Purdue University, IN.
34. Sajedeh Nasr Esfahani, M.S., Independent Tuning Stiffness And Toughness Of Polymer Metal Composites: Modeling, Validation, And Design, May 2016, Ph.D. Student Mechanical Engineering University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI.
35. Bahram Raad, M.S. Assessing Bone Healing In Mandibular Segmental Repair: A Simulation Study, May 2016, Mechanical CAE Engineer, Fives Cinetic Corp., Farmington Hills, Michigan.
36. Ahmadreza Jahadakbar, M.S., Additively Manufactured Porous Niti And Ti-6Al-4V For Patient-Specific Mandibular Fixation, July 2016, recipient of the ASM International Organization on Shape Memory and Superelasticity Fellowship, 2015, MIME best TA award, spring 2016, MIME best thesis award, spring 2016.
37. Mehran Najib, M.S. Toward Analysis of a Cooling Device using Shape Memory Alloys, December 2016, Test Engineer, John Deer, Cedar Rapids, IA.
38. Hashem Zamanian, M.S. Toward Creating Normal Ankle Joint Behavior for Drop Foot Patients Using an Ankle Foot Orthosis (AFO) with Superplastic NiTi Springs, June 2017, Ph.D. student, Pennsylvania State University.
39. Hamdy Ibrahim, Ph.D. Bioresorbable Magnesium-Based Bone Fixation Hardware: Alloy Design, Post-Fabrication Heat Treatment, Coating, And Modeling, August 2017, recipient of NSF Student Travel Award for MSEC 2016 and MSEC 2017, July 2017, Assistant Professor, University of Tennessee, Chattanooga.
40. Amir Dehghan, M.S. May 2018, Oxidation (MAO) Coating Of Additively Manufactured Niti Alloy In Order To Enhance Its Corrosion Behavior, MIME best thesis award, Spring 2017, Ph.D. student Oregon State University.
41. Amirhesam Amerinatanzi, Ph.D., August 2018 Magnesium-based Biomedical Implants: Towards a Mathematical Model for Degradation and Design, recipient of NSF Student Travel Award for SFF 2016 Symposium, Design Engineer Voestalpine Additive Manufacturing Center, Houston, TX.
42. Narges Shayesteh Moghaddam, Ph.D., August 2018 Effect of In- and Post-Process Heat Treatment on Additively Manufactured NiTi Devices, recipient of University of Toledo Fellowship Award 2016-2018, NSF Student Travel Award for SFF 2016 Symposium, Travel award 1st International Symposium on Academic Makerspaces, Nov 13-16 2016 at MIT, 2019 Business Plan Award, University of Toledo Innovation Enterprise, 1st place ThermoMorph, Mechanical Engineering Assistant Professor, University of Texas Arlington.
43. Nazanin Farjam, M.S. Effects of Size and Geometry on the Thermomechanical Properties of Additively-Manufactured NiTi Shape Memory Alloys, August 2018, MIME best TA award, Spring 2017, MIME best Thesis award, Summer 2018, Ph.D. student University of Michigan.
44. Rauf Tailony, Ph.D., May 2019, Internal Combustion Engine Cold Test Driveline Modeling, Analysis And Development, Transmission Engineer Ford Motor Company.
45. Pete Rocco, M.S. Actuation Training and Its Effects On Actuation Fatigue Of Nitinol Shape Memory Wires, August 2019.
46. Hediyeh Dabbaghi, M.S. Oxidation Analysis Of Additive Manufacturing Shape Memory Alloys, August 2019.
47. Badal Tapa, M.S. Reliability Analysis of Linear Dynamic Systems by Importance Sampling-Separable Monte Carlo Technique, May 2020.
48. Ahmadreza Jahadakbar, Ph.D. Toward Realistic Stiffness-matched Bone Plates, May 2020, recipient of the ASM International Organization on Shape Memory and Superelasticity Fellowship, 2015, UT MIME best TA award, spring 2016, Travel award 1st International Symposium on Academic Makerspaces, Nov 13-16 2016 at MIT, Second place poster award 10th Annual Translational to Clinical (T2C) Regenerative Medicine Wound Care Conference, March 9-11, 2017, Columbus, Ohio, founder of the startup company 3DNOL, May 2021. Process Development Engineer, Senior Staff, Confluent Medical Technologies, Fremont CA.
49. Reza Javanbakht, M.S. Melt Pool Size Modeling And Experimental Validation For Single Laser Track During LPBF Process Of Niti Alloy, May 2021, Staff Engineer, Materion in Elmore OH
50. Javier Salazar, Coursework Master's Student, May 2021, Materials Engineer, Trelleborg Applied Technologies, Toledo, OH.
51. Eshwar Sai Nallapaneni, M.S. Mechanical and Electro-Polishing of Shape Memory Alloys, December 2021, Quality Engineer, Intellect Inc., Iselin NJ.
52. Pavankumar Reddy Kapa M.S. Study of Process induced part-to-part variability on thermo-mechanical properties of NiTi parts using Laser Powder Bed Fusion (LPBF), December 2021, Research and Development Engineer, Caterpillar, Pontiac, Il.
53. Mohammadreza Nematollahi, Ph.D. Tailoring the Properties of NiTi(Hf) Alloys by Laser Powder Bed Fusion, May 2022. Material and Process Engineer, Boeing, St. Louis, MO.
54. Parisa Byati, Ph.D. On the improvement of the thermomechanical and cyclic behavior of Laser Powder Bed Fusion fabricated NiTi parts, May 2022, 2019 Business Plan Award, University of Toledo Innovation Enterprise, 3rd place Retractor, Manufacturing Engineer, Senior Staff, Confluent Medical Technology, Fremont, CA.
55. Keyvan Safaei, Ph.D, The critical role of crystallographic texture in anisotropic thermomechanical properties of NiTi shape memory alloy processed by laser powder bed fusion (LPBF): A strategy for texture management via controlling the build parameters, 2019 College of Engineering Research Mentor Award, 2019, Recipient of 2019 UToledo Engineering Instrumentation Assistantship, July 2022, Senior Mechanical Engineer, TA Instrument, New Castle, DE.
56. Fatemeh Kordizadeh, Ph.D., Elastocaloric effect of NiTi material fabricated by Laser Powder Bed Fusion (LPBF) technique, Recipient of 2021 UToledo Engineering Instrumentation Assistantship, 2023 UToledo College of Engineering Research Mentor Award, May 2024.
57. Hossein Abedi, Ph.D., NiTiHf Shape Memory Alloy Transformation Temperatures, Thermal Hysteresis and Actuation Strain Design Using Machine Learning, Best Poster Awards at ASME MSEC 2022, May 2024.
Visiting Scholars, Postdoctoral Researchers, and Research Professors
58. Behrang Poorganji, Ph.D. Advanced Manufacturing Director at the Institute for Applied Engineering Research, 2021-
59. Steven Huebner, Ph.D. Aerospace Director at the Institute for Applied Engineering Research, 2019-
60. Shabnam Chirani, Ph.D. Self-Heating fatigue of shape memory materials, visiting Professor of Mechanical Engineering from École Nationale d'Ingénieurs de Brest, France, Summer 2018.
61. Mohammad Javad Mahtabi, Ph.D. Fatigue of shape memory materials, University of Toledo Postdoctoral Fellow, 2017-2018.
62. Reza Mehrabi, Ph.D. Modeling of functional materials, University of Toledo Postdoctoral Fellow, 2016-2018, 2017 Inventions Travel Award, MDPI.
63. Mehrshad Mehrpouya, Modeling of SMA laser welding, PhD Fellow in Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering (DIMA) Sapienza University of Rome (La Sapienza), Rome, Italy, 2016.
64. Vagner C. Sousa, SMA actuators for aerospace application, Ph.D. Candidate, University of São Paulo (USP) at São Carlos School of Engineering (EESC) (Brazil), Summer and Fall 2015.
65. Thibault Rousset, Embedded SMA actuators, M.S. Student ENSTA Bretagne (France), Fall 2013-Summer 2014.
66. Victor Perinet, Fatigue of SMA Elements, M.S. Student ENSTA Bretagne (France), Summer 2013.
67. Francesco Bucchi, Hybrid SMA MR Systems, Ph.D. student in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Pisa (Italy), Summer 2013.
68. Christoph Haberland, Ph.D. Additive manufacturing of NiTi, University of Toledo Postdoctoral Fellow, 2013-2014.
69. Reza Mehrabi, Microplane modeling of superelastic alloys, Isfahan University of Technology, Iran visiting Ph.D. student, 2013-2014.
70. Sean Davis, Optimization of Porous NiTi, University of Akron, visiting M.S. student, 2012-2013.
71. Md Taibur RahmanUniversity of Texas at Elpaso, visiting M.S. student, 2012-2013
72. Andrea Spiggiari, Ph.D. Finite Element SMA Study, Assistant Professor Department of Science and Engineering Methods, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Italy.
73. Liberty Deberg, Analysis and design of a shape memory-based actuator for ankle foot orthoses, M.S. Student ESSTIN, Nancy (France), Spring and Summer 2012.
74. Mark Pavlyukovskyy, Human powered generator, Princeton University visiting student, Spring 2012.
75. Maria Perera, Spring 2021.
76. Kun Yang, Fall 2016
77. Kun Yang, Khaja Sharfuddin Mohammed, Jacob Rohr, Mazzin Elsamaloty, Ethel Ibinabo Ruskin, Mahbod Pourriahi, Summer 2016
78. Cole Robertson, Tim Walker, Zachary Wantz, Zheng Li, HeLun Guo, Trevor Kucherak, Spring 2016
79. Michael Peachock, Cole Robertson, Helun Guo, Zachary Wantz, Peshotan Irani, Zheng Li, Ismael Gad, Tim Walker, Darren Gordon, Fall 2015
80. Jad Youssef Khattab, Kia N Potts, Cortney Crable, Pete A Rocco, Nicholas G Bozovich, Summer 2015
81. Tim Walker, Chenguang Liu, Jad Youssef Khattab, Kia N Potts, Fan Yang, Cortney Crable, Hannah Ogden, won the fifth place award in UTIE business model competition for MorphBag, Spring 2015.
82. John Gibbons, Robert Garber, Patrick Gray, Chenguang Liu, An Nguyen, Ted Otieno, Fan Yang, Thang (Ken) Vuong, Alex Wolf, Medical Device Innovation, Fall 2014.
83. Alex Wolf, John Gibons, Jad Khattab, Fan Yang, and Justin Lyberger, Design and Evaluation of a Thromectomy Device, Summer 2014.
84. Audra Osborne, Joe Milkovich, Ted Otieno, Ann Nguyen, Joshua Wickline, Justin Saunders, Alex Wolf, Kayvon Afshar, and Fransico Arevalo Design and Evaluation of a Thromectomy Device, Ted Otieno and Ann Nguyen won the second place award in UTIE business model competition. Spring 2014.
85. Ted Otieno, Ann Nguyen, Alex Wolf, Joe Milkovich, Justin Saunders, Keyvon Afshar Evaluation Medical Devices, Fall 2013.
86. Francisco Arevalo, Eric Frissell, Justin Saunders, Joshua Wickline, Bradley Flinchbaugh, Hao Liu, and Kayvon Afshar Medical Device Evaluation, The Lean Launchpad Approach Summer 2013.
87. Mark Moffet, Design of a KAFO tester, Spring 2013
88. Michael Koludrovich, Testing of a blood clot removal device, Spring 2013.
89. Mark Moffett, A test instrument for evaluating knee ankle foot orthoses, Spring, Summer 2013.
90. Xiaotong Li, Applied control of mechatronic systems, summer and fall 2012 and spring 2013.
91. David Uhlenhake, Advanced control course experiments setup and evaluation, Summer 2009, Fall 2009.
92. Jonathan Burkhart, Initializing Ferromagnetic Shape Memory Alloy Experiments, Summer 2008.
93. Gordon Shaw, Design of a Shape Memory Alloy Mirror Stabilizer, Summer 2008, Spring 2009.
94. Adam Murray, Electronic Drawing for the Hydraulic Hybrid Experimental Setup, Fall 2007.
95. Mike Zimcosky, Design of a SMA Actuated Biped Robot, supported by Ohio Space Grant Consortium Scholarship, Fall 2007, Spring and Summer 2008.
96. Ben Sarver, Design of a SMA Actuated Biped Robot, Fall 2007.
97. Christopher Schroeder, Design of a Quarter Car Vibration Test Setup, Fall 2006.
98. Pamela Wohlfarth, Instrumentation of a Quarter Car Vibration Test Setup, Fall 2006.
99. Sarah Szykowny, Heat Transfer Modeling for Thin Wires, Spring 2006.
High School Students
100.Jingxu Cui, Maumee Valley Country Day School, Spring 2020, Additive manufacturing of metals.
101.Michelle Lee, Maumee Valley Country Day School, Fall 2018, SMA actuation.
102.Audrey Ahrendt, Taylor O'Toole, Toledo Technology Academy, Fall 2015, Medical device innovation.
103.Milo Gill, Maumee Valley Country Day School, Summer 2015, Web Based and Animation Medical Device Presentation.
104.Courtney Bentley, Rebecca Mitchell, Peter Thompson, Toledo Technology Academy, May 2013, Design and implementation of a circulatory systems.
105.Ryan Ariss, Maumee Valley Country Day School, Summer 2011, Software Upgrade for Control Laboratory.